Sunday, August 19, 2007

BUNNS OF STEEL

Yesterday I went on an 18 mile bike ride, from El Segundo to Redondo Beach. My friend Linda invited me to go, and I'm very glad that I accepted the invitation. I hadn't been on a bike since 2000, maybe 2001. At first I looked like a feeble old woman on the bike- it was quite embarrassing.

Ridding a bike on the street has always been intimating, and at certain points in the ride we did have to negotiate some streets. For the most part we were on the bike path, and I'm more comfortable with that. About halfway into the ride I thought- I'll never make it. I was going through a rolodex in my head of who I could call to come pick me up in Redondo Beach. Then a resolve came over me that I to finish this ride, and there was no other option. We stopped and had a fabulous Italian dinner and then resumed the ride. The last leg was especially difficult because MY BUTT WAS ON FIRE. All in all I'd have to say that I had a great time and I was so overjoyed to have completed the ride, even if I had to walk my bike up the hill to Linda's house; it was all worth it.

This morning I met my trainer Cindy. We did a hike in West Hollywood that was really steep. She had weights with her and she'd have me do reps as we were walking. This walk was super challenging. At some points I felt like I was on a death-march of sorts; Cindy assures me the more we do this hike, the easier it will become. I felt really great after our workout. MY BUTT IS STILL BURNING from the last two days of activity. I'm going to go soak in Epsom salts right now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy moly your buns are ON FIRE! An 18 mile bike ride! Have you been secretly training for a triathalon and have been casually refering to it as "sessions with my trainer?" There's no way I'd survive an 18 mile bike ride unless the bike was tied to the bumper of a moving car! Amazing!