Friday, August 17, 2007

Motivational Algebra

I've recently decided to handle my goal of exercising and eating healthier in increments --- monthly increments, that is.

Last week was week one of dieting and exercising. My goal is to do 4 sessions of aerobic exercise a week (5 times a week would be a stretch goal). So far, I've completed one full week of workouts, or 25% of my monthly goal. The end of this week, week two, would put me at 50% completion rate for my first monthly increment of intense exercise. I'm halfway during week two, and have completed 75% of this week's workouts. That means I've accomplished 7/16 of my total scheduled monthly workouts. Considering I have a history of starting and stopping early on in my previous exercise attempts I find these percentages highly motivating. I guess all that Algebra from high school did come in handy after all.

2 comments:

Tamale624 said...

Well, since your incremental gains are non-linear and more similar to a logarithmic or polynomial increase, I think that is more like motivational CALCULUS. Those are fine achievements for your second week already. I guess you can ride on the inertia caused by the ramped up goal and steady them out over the weeks. I have enough trouble trying to be a 'steady Edie' with the twice a week Pilates. Lets see how this week goes.

DeeLight said...

I like how you compartmentalize your goals into increments. I should do that, it would make the larger goal less overwhelming. Very nice.